Dear Readers and Contributors,
It’s been a big year for Short Kid Stories. 2014 finally saw the launch of the site after a longer-than-expected period of development! Eventually we did get launched and as of now we have the work of 60 authors featured on the site.
Traffic has been growing well, we are now approaching 20,000 page views a month. What I find wonderful is the locations around the world that are reading stories on the site:
Any country coloured in blue is one where readers have accessed the site in the last 3 months. The darker the colour, the heavier the traffic. As you can see there are a lot of readers coming from the US, Ireland and India, with Canada and the UK not far behind. Most countries in the world, apart from Greenland, a number of African countries and a small handful more have discovered the world of Short Kid Stories. However, therein lies a challenge for 2015 – to paint the whole world blue!
Here are the top 25 most read stories this year on Short Kid Stories:
- CinderellaCinderella gets to go to the ball thanks to her kind fairy godmother.
- Sleeping BeautyA mean fairy casts a spell on a young girl. Can she avoid pricking herself on a spindle until she is sixteen? Includes an audio narration by Sharon Blumberg.
- Jack and the BeanstalkJack exchanges a cow for a handful of beans. Even though his mother is angry, a giant beanstalk leads on to a great adventure.
- Little Red HenThis story about a hardworking little hen whose friends won't help her teaches us a valuable and timeless lesson. Includes audio narration.
- Aesops FablesAll of Aesop's fables, beautifully illustrated by Milo Winter. Dip in and out, each one only takes a minute or two.
- Puss In BootsA miller's son inherits a clever cat who helps him win power and fortune.
- Snow White and the Seven DwarfsSnow White is under threat from an evil stepmother who wants to be the fairest in the land.
- The Three Little PigsThree little pigs build houses to keep safe from the bad wolf, but he keeps trying to blow them down.
- The Frogs’ RaceA group of frogs decide to race to the top of the tower, but will they all be discouraged when everyone says they can't do it?
- Aladdin and the Wonderful LampAn evil sorcerer tricks Aladdin into thinking that he is Aladdin's uncle so that he can retrieve for him a powerful and magical lamp. The classic Middle Eastern folk tale retold and illustrated by Walter Crane.
- The Adventures of BirdBird is his name. And he is a bird. Large, a little ugly and clumsy, but lovable. Eats too much junk food so has lost the ability to fly. Is befriended by two children and they embark on an adventure together.
- The Little Match GirlThe little match girl lights her matches to stay warm in the freezing weather and is reunited with her loving grandmother.
- Hansel and GretelHansel and Gretel find a house made of cake and sweets and start to eat it, but don't realise that a wicked witch lives there.
- Midnight O’ClockA strange magic starts when the clock strikes midnight. What are you afraid of?
- The Children of LirThe legend of the four Children of Lir, turned into swans for nine centuries by their wicked stepmother.
- Goldilocks and the Three BearsThree bears are upset when they find that someone has been eating their porridge.
- Princess Rose and the Golden BirdA wicked witch curses the beautiful princess who sings every night with a golden bird.
- RumpelstiltskinCan the queen save her new child by guessing the name of the dwarf who spun straw into gold?
- A Bother no Longer – Chapter 1First chapter of the story of a little shrew who dreams of sailing to sea. He gets his wish one day... or does he?
- The NightingaleStory about an emperor who prefers the tinkling of a bejeweled mechanical bird to the song of a real nightingale.
- Dream DaddyDeirdre can't believe it when she finds a shop where you can order your perfect Daddy.
- The Brave Tin SoldierRead about the brave tin soldier who remains calm despite all the terrible things that happen to him. Includes audio narration.
- Little Brother and SisterA brother and sister run away from home to escape their wicked stepmother, who is also a witch.
- The Miller, his Son and their DonkeyA man is taking his donkey to the fair for sale, but find out what happens when he tries to please everyone he meets along the way. Includes audio narration.
- The Emperor’s New ClothesTwo swindlers pretend to weave the vain emperor new clothes, but claim it's invisible to stupid people. Will anyone be brave enough to say there's nothing there? Includes audio narration.
I’ve really noticed an upturn in the number of stories being rated every day. I didn’t want to present that just yet on the site until there are a critical mass of ratings across the board, however I thought you would like to see what are the top rated stories on the site to date. This list only includes stories that have at least 5 ratings:
|The Tale of Samuel Whiskers||8||10.0||-1.0|
|Raggedy Ann and the Mouse||5||10.0||-1.0|
|The Puzzle Maker||11||9.8||-1.0|
|Hudden and Dudden and Donald O'Neary||6||9.7||-1.0|
|We Landlubbers Sail the Sea||5||9.6||-1.0|
|Ride a Cock-Horse||5||9.6||-1.0|
|The Legend of the Black Sea||29||9.5||-1.0|
|The Story of Pretty Goldilocks||14||9.5||-1.0|
What’s nice to see is that the majority of this list is from modern authors contributing original content to the site.
It just remains for me to wish you all a wonderful story-filled holiday season and new year. Let’s see what 2015 brings.
Now where did I put those mince pies?!